Our career choices can give us purpose, as well as pain.
Many people feel like they are ‘stuck’ in their job – like there’s no way out – and they’re unsure how to get out or where to go.
- For some, it may be easier to change jobs or even careers and move on.
- For others, it can feel overwhelming and may not seem like a realistic option for multiple reasons.
- Maybe you have a family that depends on your income, and the sheer thought of leaving your job makes you worry that it would create a gap in your finances and cash flow.
- Or maybe you’ve applied to other jobs, but you haven’t gotten any responses, and you’re feeling rejected.
Often there are viable options, but it could simply be that you don’t know where to begin. Generally speaking, identifying a good-fit option, when changing careers or jobs depends upon matching a job/career with:
- Your attributes – transferable experience and skills (that you enjoy using), personality style, interests, values, natural abilities, and other factors influencing this decision.
- Your goals – your desired lifestyle and income.
- Job market reality – it’s important that the employment segment you’re considering is actively hiring.
3 steps for getting unstuck and exploring your options:
- Gain a realistic and thorough understanding of your attributes.
- Clarify your goals.
- Understand the job market.
Keep in mind – small amounts of stress about work are common, such as having a big presentation coming up. But feeling like you’re trapped is something you may need to look at, for your own happiness and well-being, as well as, the happiness and well-being of the people who care about you.
If you’re experiencing any of the following, then it’s time to get professional coaching support:
- You feel stuck or trapped
- You get the Sunday blues
- You spend a lot of time venting about your job
- You don’t have the energy for outside activities or socializing with friends
Marilyn can help – with clarifying your attributes, identifying job/career options, revising your resume and LinkedIn so they are targeted to your job direction, creating a robust job search plan, and fine-tuning your interview skills.
To schedule a complimentary 10-minute introductory meeting or your full 45-minute consultation please email Marilyn at: Marilyn@fettnercareerconsulting.com